With America’s aging electrical grid, your power supply is never guaranteed. It is estimated that 500,000 Americans experience power outages every day, and this number continues to grow each year.
Standby generators are a great way to defend your home against blackouts, but simply having one isn’t enough. You need to properly maintain your generator in order to keep it running in tip-top shape, otherwise it may not work when you need it.
Cannondale Generators has sold, installed, serviced, and maintained standby generators across western Connecticut for more than 25 years. We’ve seen firsthand what a good maintenance routine can do, and happens when homeowners choose to neglect their standby generators.
Don’t neglect the needs of your standby generator
If you neglect the basic maintenance needs of your standby generator, it will come back to haunt you, and you probably won’t know until it is already too late. When your generator fails to turn on during a power outage, you are left without lights or TV, but that’s just the start of your troubles. The lack of power can also lead to more expensive problems, such as:
- Frozen Pipes
- Sump Pump Trouble
- Water Damage
- Food Spoilage
How to maintain your generator
A little bit of maintenance can go a long way. Here are some maintenance musts for any standby generator:
- Change the oil and oil filter after every 100 hours of use.
- Change the air filter in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Avoid long-term fuel storage by emptying gasoline every six months.
- Periodically clean corrosion on the battery, and ensure terminal connections are tight.
- Routinely inspect spark plugs for signs of damage. Have them professionally replaced if something is wrong.
- Refer to your owner’s manual for specific care instructions.
Count on us for your standby generator needs
Taking proper care of your standby generator is no easy task, which is why more than 2,500 people trust Cannondale Generators to do it for them. As western Connecticut’s #1 generator retailer, you can count on us for all of your generator sales, installation, and maintenance needs. We even offer annual generator service plans to help keep your generator running like new. Visit our website to learn more, or give us a call at (203) 762-2608.