1. Artificial trees are the safest options, especially those labeled “fire-resistant”.
2. If you have a live tree, keep it away from heat sources such as candles, fireplaces, and radiators.
3. Dry trees are more flammable, so keep yours well-watered.
4. Use lights and decorations that have been approved for safe use by a nationally-recognized testing laboratory.
5. Inspect all power cords for loose connections, exposed wires, or any form of damage before use.
6. Avoid overloading your home’s electrical outlets.
7. Always unplug decorations before replacing any bulbs or fuses.
8. When mounting outdoor lights, avoid using nails, tacks, or anything which may damage the cords.
9. Make sure all lights and extension cords are approved for outdoor use.
10. Keep all extension cords and light strings clear of snow and water.
11. Make sure ladders are safe, stable, and secure before attempting to climb them.
12. Turn off all indoor and outdoor lighting before leaving the house or going to sleep.